PRESIDING JUDGE: The Honorable Judge Judith Sheindlin
JUDGE JUDY has been on the air since 1996 and has been nominated for eleven Emmy awards. Judge Judy Sheindlin, a former family court judge from Manhattan in New York City, helps settle small claims cases. Brash and blunt, the diminutive Sheindlin has drawn the ire of many a litigant, as well as Judge Joseph Wapner of THE PEOPLE'S COURT fame. He has called Judge Judy "a disgrace to the profession", "rude," "arrogant" and demeaning. She retorted with, "I refuse to engage in similar mud slinging."
Ironically in real-life Judge Judy is married to Judge Jerry Sheindlin who presided over THE PEOPLE'S COURT for a few months in 2000. In fact, she's been married to him twice! They divorced in 1990, remarried in 1991, and have three children together. (Before Jerry, she was married to Ronald Levy and had two children from that marriage.) So when Judge Judy speaks about having a lot of experience raising children, she is not joshing. She has raised three sons and two daughters.
Some of Judy Sheindlin's favorite sayings include:
(The latter two quotes are also titles from two of her numerous books.)
- "On my worst day, I'm smarter than you on your best day."
- "I have more brains in my little finger than you have in your entire body."
- "I don't believe you."
- "I don't care."
- "Do you know how to tell if a teenager is lying to you? Her mouth moves!"
- "I'm like a human lie detector."
- "Are you on any kind of medication? Something is really wrong with you."
- "Get over it!"
- To the ill-prepared or under-dressed: "Did you realize you were coming to court today?"
- (When someone fidgets) "Stand still! You're making me dizzy."
- (When she's interrupted) "I'M SPEAKING!"
- (Sarcastically) "Yeah, and I'm 5'11''!" (She is actually 5'1''.)
- "Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining."
- "Beauty fades. Dumb is forever."
When you read these sayings out of context and back-to-back, it can be difficult to disagree with Judge Wapner's analysis of Sheindlin. Then again, most viewers realize that JUDGE JUDY is just a TV program and that Sheindlin is loud-mouthed in part to garner ratings. Few people would expect the same treatment in any regular, untelevised courtroom!
Even the most seasoned JUDGE JUDY viewer may not realize that the bailiff's name is not "Burt." In fact, his name is...